15 Truths About Working in Social Media Marketing
By Jasmine Demers, Marketing & Administrative Coordinator
Social Media Marketing; a world of clever campaigns, contests, engagement, hashtags, analytics and constant phone notifications.
If you’ve worked in public relations (or any successful business industry for that matter), you know that social media marketing has become increasingly important in engaging with consumers and improving brand awareness. While most marketers truly enjoy developing content and representing their company, it’s not always a walk in the park.
Here’s 15 truths about working in social media marketing…
1. Your family and friends don’t actually know what you do, or think that you just sit on Facebook all day.
Ugh. We actually work very hard!
2. You always develop a strategy, even when you post on your personal social media page.
We think a lot of people could benefit from this.
3. Getting a retweet or a share is the best feeling.
4. Your work follows you home.
Social media can be a 24/7 job. You have to stay on top of trends and make sure you’re available to respond to any engagement.
5. You have posted a personal status on the company page by mistake.
6. You still feel guilty when your boss walks into the room and your screen is filled with social media feeds.
7. You nag your coworkers about retweeting and sharing.
Sorry, not sorry.
8. You are constantly scoping out other agencies to see how they use social media.
A little healthy competition never hurt anyone.
9. Getting zero engagement is sometimes a reality.
When you come up with the most clever Twitter post and don’t receive a single retweet. Borderline heartbreaking…
10. Social Media is constantly changing.
The evolving nature of social media keeps us all on our toes and makes thought leadership all the more important.
11. You have memorized every random national holiday.
Ya, that’s right. I know when National Hot Dog Day is and I’m not ashamed of it.
12. You have your own language.
#Engagement #Impressions #GIF #Algorithm #HTML #Avatar
13. You sometimes get tired of social media.
Let’s be honest. Being on social media as much as we are can take a toll.
14. You always have a camera handy.
You’re always ready to catch that perfect picture to post on social!
15. You actually love what you do and secretly think that you can use marketing to change the world.
So what do you think SoMe experts? Is this list pretty accurate? Leave your comments below!